Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Blink- the book

Recently I saw Blink, The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell on a booklist for Restorative Yoga teacher training. I had an idea of what the book was about, but had not read it. I decided to see what yogic insight it might have to offer. These are some of the insights that I found interesting. Firstly, we make choices with our conscious analytical mind and with our unconscious mind... deep from within. The latter I relate to as my inner knowing, but it can also be our prejudices and unconscious belief systems. (We have deep beliefs that often we are not aware of.)
The author guides us around the area of snap decisions. With experience we can make quick decisions that seem to just come from a gut feeling, a knowing. What I have found as I grow and change is that I have more of an intuitive sense in my decision making and find it easier to plan and problem solve. The author suggests that our decision making ideally comes from a balance of these two places, the analytical and the intuitive. What is particularly interesting is that he suggests that for the less significant choices in our lives we do better with the analytical mind and for the really big decisions, marriage, where to live, a career etc, we should trust our inner sense, our inner knowing... what we sometimes call a 'gut feeling'. He also says that often we are on information overload and therefore have too much information. Information does not equal knowledge.
I believe if our lives are less cluttered and we create more space in our days, our bodies and minds, the truth of our inner knowing bubbles up and is more accessible, to us. We can trust our snap decisions more easily, we can make more accurate assessments in any situation and use our analytical mind where it is appropriate.

No comments: