Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Authenticity

Authenticity is a theme that runs through Angeles Arrien's insight into truthfulness.
How challenging that is to allow our true self to shine through amid all the fears and insecurities we have. From Arrien's writing we see that avoiding conflict at all costs and exaggerating are examples of moving out of our authentic self. The paradox is that we all want to be seen and loved for who we are but we are often afraid that who we are is not enough. We abandon ourselves to be seen differently. Our truthfulness is lost. Ironically we are often most loved when we allow others to see us in all our imperfection.
Reference: The Four Fold Way by Angeles Arrien.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Last night’s discussion was a real light bulb moment for me and a thought I plan to revisit often. Thanks for adding this to the blog as a reminder.

elisabeth said...

Reading this makes me think of self-preservation. I most certainly have abandoned my authentic self at work and have avoided conflict in order to preserve my homelife (shopping at the Co-op, yoga, etc). It almost seems like I can be more authentic and truthful at home because of the sacrifice(s) with my truthfulness at work.

Maureen Braun said...

Maybe when we "consciously choose" to avoid conflict we are being authentic, whereas when we avoid conflict as a habit or a way of life, we are losing a connection with our authenticity.

Unknown said...

I always feel that you have to have some rough surfaces or bumps and hollows (like puzzle pieces) for others to stick to or connect with. That's partly how I picture one's authentic self vs. one that's polished for presentation.