Thursday, January 19, 2012

Practicing yoga off the mat...Mindfulness and Refraining

As I looked forward to starting classes this week I was met with a nasty respiratory flu and a snowfall that canceled the first two classes ( Tue, Wed).   In some ways I was glad the classes were cancelled because of the weather as I had already reluctantly informed the college that I would be unable to teach. Truthfully, I was frustrated with myself for getting ill.   I know, that makes no sense and yet there it was.   Sometimes I lean so heavily into responsibility to my students it prevents me  from "trusting whatever happens".   I do believe that "everything happens for a reason"... so why torture myself? 
 Fortunately what I have noticed over the years is that I am less and less disturbed by events that
seem inconvenient or are not what I had hoped or planned for.   If I get "hooked" by a feeling of disappointment, I can shake it off pretty quickly. 
Pema Chodrun talks about mindfulness and "refraining".     In my case I soon found myself "refraining" from moving towards frustration.   Instead I discovered myself  shifting gears and and enjoying the benefits of a forced retreat and different way of living for a few days.
This way of responding to events is an example of "Ahimsa" or non-harm. Non-harm includes"seeing clearly with respect and compassion for what is".

This quarter we will be discussing more insights into the Yamas, Ahimsa being the first yama, part of the "tree of yoga".

No comments: