Sunday, April 21, 2013

Class #2

Last week I read a story poem by Portia Nelson.  I gave all of you a copy.

"I walk down the street.  There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in..."   those are the first few lines.
The poem helps us to look at the patterns we create in our lives and how we become unconscious to them even though they create suffering.  
The author gives us an opportunity to ask ourselves where are we creating suffering in our lives and repeating the same choices over and over again.
The suffering can feel like a negative emotion or an inner conflict and then we wonder why are we here again.    Or maybe it is a behavior that leads to a problem that we continue to encounter.
I learn from this that I must look at my belief or my attitude and deconstruct or undo it  if I am to re- build and change where I end up.
In the poem there are several moments of becoming more conscious becoming more and more awake.
The poem is called Autobiography in Five Short Chapters.

No comments: