Monday, February 28, 2011

Humility

Humility is a dimension of surrender, as Deepak Chopra reminds us.
I have been thinking about humility and managed to locate my little book entitled WABI SABI ( a pair of Japanese words).
I was gifted this book by a friend, who seemed to know how much I would appreciate it.
Wabi has been defined in English as austere elegance, irregular beauty, unpolished. Sabi is interpreted as the beauty that treasures the passage of time and the sense of impermanence it evokes... also the patina that age bestows.
There are many moments when I am drawn to something old that has withstood years of use or worn from exposure to the elements. I consider this a moment to pause and take in that kind of beauty.
It might be interesting to identfy the moments we are humbled and consider why we are touched in that way. At the very most it pulls away "self importance" and creates a bigger perspective for us to view what life is about and how we might live with greater awareness.

Reference: Wabi Sabi. The Art of Everyday Life by Diane Durston

No comments: