Sunday, May 24, 2009

Projections

From our discussion this week about projections and "reflecting mirrors" it reminded me of Ram Dass. He teaches an excellent method for owning our projections and becoming more aware of the judgments that separate us from one another, from ourselves and from the Divine. His instruction is quite simple. Every time you catch yourself judging another person own your projection by saying, "And I am that , too."
Or you might say instead, "And how am I that too?", which is more of an invitation.

2 comments:

elisabeth said...

This will be my goal tomorrow--to see how often I judge others and then try and remember to ask myself in what way I am the same. These judgments can weigh down your heart and by asking yourself how you are similar you can make teensy-tiny improvements to your own character, even if it is only recognition of that judgment.

Maureen Braun said...

Thanks Libby.
How beautiful is that!