Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Seven Monks

From the story of the seven monks,which answer did you pick??
Who did the head monk choose to be killed? Many of us said, "himself", thinking that would be the most honorable thing to do. (I know I did when I first heard this story.) That is what our culture has taught us... that it is good to always sacrifice ourselves for others. If that is the case we might also ask, " am I more demanding, critical and punishing of myself than anyone else? What parts of myself have I rejected, or dismissed? Do I expect perfection from myself all too often?" It reminds me that as a mother I was alway willing to eat the "burnt toast". Sacrifice has it's place, putting others ahead of oneself has its place. But we might fall into the trap of using it as a code of behavior in every situation.

However, the story suggests that every being is precious, and worthy. I am no less or more important than you are. We are equals.
When we are of service in the world it includes being of service to ourselves aswell as others.
By honoring our own growth, strengths, creativity and happiness, we can then better serve others and the planet.


Reference: Ajahn Brahm, Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung?

"Once you accept the fact that you're not perfect, then you develop some confidence."
-Rosalynn Carter

"Perfectionism is a slow death." -Hugh Prather

No comments: