Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yoga Props

Every teacher has different thoughts and recommendations on using yoga props.
I am convinced that yoga props are important in giving yourself the best and most rewarding practice.
I will start with yoga mats... also known as sticky mats!!!
You do want to have a good quality yoga mat. Yes some are better than others depending on your practice. I provide good quality yoga mats in class, however you may want to bring your own.
Also 1-2 yoga blankets are very important to help find and maintain good alignment and awareness. I encourage you to consider purchasing your own blankets if you are going to have a home practice or continue with classes for more than one 8 week session.
My current reference for ordering blankets is www.yogaprops.net. I do not yet have experience with this company. (But the company I used to work with has different owners and has changed its inventory.)
There are places around town where you can get a yoga mat. One source is REI. They have several brands.
If you are purchasing blocks, be sure to get the 4" ones. If you are purchasing a belt you may want to go with an 8' belt rather than a 6' as it will be more versatile (and with a D-ring if possible.)
Hope this helps.

No comments: