Thursday, April 15, 2010

Do we live in a world of NOISE?

George Prochnik's book, In Pursuit of Silence: Listening for Meaning in a World of Noise, made me think about sound in a more thoughtful way. I began to think about sounds that I love, sounds that I take for granted, sounds that I tolerate, sounds that I block out and sounds that I feel asaulted by. I decided this week to focus on sounds that I love and really listen and appreciate them. There are elegant and soothing sounds and sounds that make me feel content and happy. I want to bring more of those sounds to the forefront and experience them as a delight in my day. If I lost my sense of hearing I would no longer be able to experience those sounds. The sound of silence is one of those beautiful sounds too. The silence make the sounds I love more distinct and delicate. What are the sounds that you cherish, but have not really thought about lately? Can you listen and savor some of your favorite sounds?
Please share your favorite sounds with me.

2 comments:

Maureen Braun said...

Okay here are some of mine: sound of the wind blowing through the trees, the trickle of water flowing through the rocks, birds chirping, babies laughing, crickets at night, the crunch of an apple when your first bite into it, beautiful music, little feet pattering up the stair and into my bed (grandkids), sound of silence, sound of the water splashing when I have a bath, and more...

Maureen Braun said...

Last night I was in a restaurant that was so loud I could hardly hear myself or the person across the table from me. I felt exhausted after I left. Won't be going back there any time soon.